Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Why Rincon?



When planning this trip I wanted the destination to:
  • Warm, sunny & on the water.
  • Options for peace and quiet and activities, depending on my mood.
  • A location in Latin America – I enjoy the food and the culture, and I wanted an opportunity to brush up on my Spanish.
  • Low to moderate cost for the trip.
I began with the thought of going to Vieques or Culebra, but they are harder to get to and have fewer options for  activities.

In my research led me to Rincon on the western tip of the island, and the more I learned the more I liked.  In the end, my decision to go to Rincon, Puerto Rico for a surfing vacation was based on:
  1. Ease of access: reasonably priced direct flights from JFK Airport in New York into Aguadilla, Puerto Rico, only about 20 miles from Rincon.  I’ll catch a morning flight from JFK and I’ll be having lunch in Rincon!
  2. Accommodations: even though it is one of the busiest weeks of the year I was able to find accommodations for about $100 per night.  Keep in mind I am going on one of the busiest weeks of the season (the week after Christmas) and with only a few days notice.  If I was traveling any other time I could have easily found nice places to stay with lower rates.
  3. Variety of Beaches: Rincon is the western tip of Puerto Rico with the Atlantic on one side and the Caribbean on the other.  The north side (Atlantic) is known for it’s consistent waves.  The south side (Caribbean) is generally calmer.
  4. Lots of Activities: On days that I don’t surf there are plenty of other things to do like fishing, scuba diving and snorkeling.  Unlike some of the more secluded options, there’s a vibrant night life and many places to eat.  I’ll be spending New Year’s Eve there and would like the option of going out and partying.

No comments: