Monday, January 4, 2010

Final Thoughts

I’ve been home for a day now and have been thinking about my experiences in Puerto Rico.  It was a great trip and I’m already planning my next visit.

rq-lgflag

Getting to Puerto Rico from the eastern USA is so easy! 
  • There are flights into San Juan or Mayaguez from Atlanta, Miami, Houston, and New York (perhaps more cities that I am not aware of). 
  • No passport is required because it is a US Territory.
  • I’ve seen flights for about $400 round trip.  That makes a quick long weekend mini-vacation very doable!
Some observations:
  • Speed limits are posted in miles per hour, but distances are posted in kilometers, and gasoline is sold by the liter.
  • The roads are narrow.  Having a small, maneuverable car was safer than a larger vehicle.
  • Local rental car companies may offer better rates than are available through the international chains on line.  Check with Popular car rental as an example (my car was $280 for the week with unlimited miles and was a brand new Ford Focus).
  • Making an effort to find local places to eat was definitely worth the effort.  The cost was about 1/3 of the prices charged in restaurants frequently by gringos and tourists, and the food was just was good or better!
  • Sticking to local drinks was also cheaper.  Medalla beer is excellent, and rum drinks are the way to go.  I had no problem drinking tap water.
  • In Rincon virtually everyone speaks English. In other areas fewer people speak English. Making an effort to speak Spanish is a show of respect and is appreciated by the locals. Even if you know only a few words, start off in Spanish.  If they speak English they will let you know right away. 
  • Many people I met spoke flawless English.  They were delighted when I asked them to please speak Spanish with me so I could practice.  They were more than willing to help, and offered many suggestions about where to go for food, entertainment, and shopping away from tourist areas.
  • Free wifi was available in many places; coffee shops, bars, hotel lobbies, etc.
  • Verizon and AT&T cell phones work there.  I had to call Verizon to enable international roaming on my data plan but there was no additional data charge.  I didn't have to do anything extra for AT&T.

Viva Puerto Rico!

3 comments:

perrosucio said...

rl10123355John great blog. The thing that impress me most is the respect that you show of the locals even speaking some spanich.You know a lot of these gringos dont do it and they demand respect you are class keep doing good work

J Wheeler said...

Perrosucio,

Thank you for the compliment. The pleasure truly was mine!

My first visit to Puerto Rico was a wonderful experience and God willing won't be my last.

Peace!

John

Anonymous said...

Nicely done, John! I really enjoyed touring Rincon with you, and almost felt as though I were there! I've been researching and reading all I can about the area and the people, in the hopes that one day my husband and I can visit for a couple of weeks. It sounds like such a wonderful, friendly, interesting place to vacation. Thanks for providing an inside look at this great area of Puerto Rico! As an aside, it's very refreshing to see someone with your level of respect for the local people and culture. Thanks! Great blog!